Thursday, July 26, 2012

The beautiful Cathedral of Matagalpa

As promised, I´m attempting to document local Catholic Churches as my wife and I wind our way through Nicaragua. Yesterday we went to Matagalpa (NW of the capital, Managua) and found the magestic and awe-inspiring Cathedral.


The most interesting thing about this building is the all white facade. I have to admit, seeing such a huge building in dazzling white was pretty cool. Another neat feature in the front of the Cathedral was a motif of a lamb atop of an altar, seen here:


As you can also note, the Cathedral was first installed in 1879, not too shabby. The interior is enormous as well! That´s me in the left hand corner genuflecting as we walked in.


One thing that I´ve noticed is that most of the Churches in Nicaragua have a pulpit located to the right of the altar. Here´s a better shot, couldn´t get too close since a funeral Mass was going on


Pic from the corner across the Cathedral!




No comments:

Post a Comment